This article is called Hammerhead Sharks Have "Human" Vision. In this article, students from Florida Atlantic University discover that Hammerhead sharks have three times better eye sight than Blacknose and Lemon sharks. To begin with, these students take three different species of sharks from three different parts of the world. A scalloped hammerhead from Hawaii, a bonnethead from Florida, and a winghead shark from Australia. When they took these hammerheads to the lab, they recorded the electric activity happening in their eyes. The results were that their vision was three times higher that other sharks. However, hammerheads did have a blind spot. Since their eyes are so far apart, they cannot see something directly in front of them; therefore it is hard to catch their prey.
Moreover, when I read this article, it fascinated me to know that hammerheads have vision similar to humans. In addition, I thought that it was something out of the blue that these students discovered. I never really thought that there would be any marine animal that had a vision close to humans. All in all, I strongly believe that this was a very interesting article and I learned many suprising new facts because of it.
The Museum of Natural History
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment